Friday, July 10, 2015

Week (8) Post



“After you have completed the activity, enter a blog post reflecting on your process, what you learned from this activity, and any connections you have made to the readings.”

WoW!  I believed I watched the advertisement video I choosed about 100 times.  Okay, 100 might be over exaggerating the times watched - but I did review it many times as I was going over the deconstructing an alcohol advertisement steps.  In each step there were particulars that where brought to my attention that if I was to deconstruct on my own – I probably would not have thought about it.
  
Within step 1 – make observations.  The focus observation for me was the bullet about taking note of the lighting.  This observation had me researching into different types of lights used during filming. 

Within step 2 – determine the purpose of the AD. I know all advertisements have a targeted audience but the bullets about demographics were interesting to me.  I found myself reviewing the ad looking for the different types of races and ethnicity in ad. 

Within step 3 – determine the assumptions the ad makes & the message it sends.  With all products the ad is selling their product but the bullet about gender and sexuality had me looking to see if LBGT community was being depicted in the advertisement.  

Within step 4 – consider the possible consequences of these messages.  This was interesting because just like the old saying “too much of anything” is not good for you.  This goes for alcohol and I’m sure we all know this but in my advertisement ad it portrait an environment where alcohol if drank responsibly can be enjoyable.   

In conclusion, this was an awesome project!  Before I started,  I assumed this would be pretty simple to deconstruct an ad but once I starting reviewing the ad based on the deconstructing guidelines, I started looking at the assignment differently because it opened by mind up to the particulars I wasn’t thinking about.    Over the past couple of days I’ve found myself deconstructing TV commercials/ads!

Reference:

1 comment:

  1. Hi Derek. The lighting was one of things that gave me the most difficulty with this project. I was not really sure how to describe the lighting in my video. I agree that some of the questions make you delve further into what an ad is trying to convey. I really believe that there is a hidden language in ads, as expressed by Marshall McLuhan (Wolfe, 2011).

    Wolfe, T. (February 2011). Marshall McLuhan speaks centennial 2011. Retrieved
    from www2.marshallmcluhanspeaks.com. "Introduction"

    ReplyDelete